The residential real estate market is hot in the Twin Cities right now. If you’re thinking about selling your home, you’re probably expecting your home to sell quickly and possibly with multiple offers. Of course there are many factors – neighborhood, schools, condition of your home. But, yes, in this market homes are selling quickly and with multiple offers which means a better deal for you.
Even though homes are selling quickly in the Twin Cities, you don’t want to leave money on the table. There are still many things you can do to assure you get the best price when you sell you home.
- Hire a Realtor – Don’t be fooled into thinking that because the market is hot you can manage the sale of your home on your own. A Realtor is going to set the price at a fair asking price which will help the home sell as quickly as possible for the best price possible. A Realtor has a keen eye about improving curb appeal, you’ll want to listen to her about any improvements that can be made to get a better price on you home. Your Realtor is going to handle all the detail work. He’ll schedule showings, and make sure all paperwork is in order.
- De-Clutter – One of the best things you can do to sell your home quickly is to remove any clutter in the house. Any home buyers looking at your house will want to be able to envision their life in your home. They won’t be able to do that if you have stacks of magazines in the living room, boxes of shoes in the closet, and loads of unfolded laundry in the laundry room. You’re going to be packing up anyway so pack up two – thirds of your belongings before you put your house on the market.
- Clean Closets – You’ll want to be sure your closets aren’t packed to the brim. Remove everything except what you will be wearing. That means all of your winter clothes, boots, heavy sweaters etc can be packed away. Organize clothing by color if you’re adventurous or by style – dresses together, pants together, shirts together, etc. You’re closet will look so much more tidy this way.
- Remove Family Photos – Again, the home buyer is trying to imagine their life in your home so make it easy for them to do so. Hang a couple of large prints on the wall in living areas and leave the rest of the walls bare.
- Paint – A fresh coat of paint is one of the best things you can do to ensure you get the best price for your home, and it’s easy and inexpensive to do. Not only will a fresh coat of paint make the room look clean and fresh, it will also make your home smell clean and fresh.
- Shampoo the Carpets – If you have children and pets this is a must. Hire a professional to shampoo the carpets and clean the floors. If you have hardwood, it might be time to get a buff and shine.
- Stage your Home – Hire a professional stager to come in and do their magic. Many times they will use your furniture, but they may bring in pieces too (and have you remove some of your own). Don’t be offended, they’re trying to achieve a neutral look so a buyer can project their belongings in your home.
- Light it Up – Be sure to turn on the lights when showing the house. Install the brightest bulbs possible in darker areas like stairways, entryways, the basement, mud room etc.
- Clean the Windows – You’ll want to have as much natural light as possible, so be sure to clean the windows and launder and drapes and dust any blinds.
- Make Minor Repairs – Got a doorknob that keeps coming off? Get it repaired. Missing trim? Replace it. Make all those little repairs you’ve put off over the year.